Exploration and Discovery

Exploration and Discovery
The Outdoor Classroom

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Summer Homeschooling

I have been planning out the schedule for getting Jimmy ready for seventh grade in the fall; three b's and two c's do not cut it in my mind. Seventh grade curriculum is actually great- medieval period. Interesting though, it is not just knights and crusades, but medieval Africa, China, and Japan, as well as early  cultures from the Americas- Mayan, Aztec. Should be interesting. I have a copy of a seventh grade California social studies text, the core standards in social studies and language arts, and some ideas about topics for persuasive and comparative essays. What I am trying to put together now are some good reads and maybe a movie or two to make it a little more Jimmy friendly. I found a book entitled The Samurai's Tale that looks good- he started it and seems interested. The other title I had recommended was Catherine, Called Birdy.It appears to be a diary format which would make for an easy read- though I am not sure that a young girl's diary will be compelling for Jimmy. I will have to read a little of it and see. I was thinking of the movie "Shogun", though it is long, maybe we could watch it as a family and break it up over a couple of nights.

What I have been realizing as I have been pulling our schedule together is: 1) how important it is to know what the curriculum/standards for the grade level are, 2) how great it has been to have a few weeks to think beyond the text book for other mediums and formats to help make the material more compelling and accessible (The Magna Carta is at the Legion of Honor for another week- I am hoping to have Jimmy at least go and see it with me), and 3) how if you were allowed to teach the same grade for a few years you could really make it come alive for the kids, by incorporating art projects, field trips, guest speakers, drama/theater- layer upon layer.

Math is not my forte, but I sense at this point what he needs more than anything is drill and kill on multiplication and division of decimals.

How am I going to do this if I find out one week before school starts what grade I am teaching?!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck w/Jimmy's homeschooling. Sounds fun and you're really tailoring the program to his interests and needs.
    You just do the best you can I'm afraid. My first job I was hired 2 weeks before school started, took one look at the bookcase full of texts, and wondered, "Where do I start?" Brought home the Teacher Eds and went through everything. Started scheduling in curriculum to try out things. It's about trying out things and see how it goes. Talk to your cohorts as well who are always helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks as always Stefanie for taking the time to read my thoughts and share your experience. I feel very lucky to have great mentors.

    ReplyDelete