Exploration and Discovery

Exploration and Discovery
The Outdoor Classroom

Saturday, March 26, 2011

After Months of Subbing

Well, I am happy to report I LOVE teaching. I love the kids...even the "hard" ones. I am learning a TON about myself. One thing I have recognized is that I am a "nester." I guess I already knew this at some level, but working in other people's classrooms I find myself planning what I will incorporate into my own. One of the greatest opportunities of working in so many different classrooms is the ability to chronicle what some great teachers are doing, and have created.
The frustrating thing about subbing is that I usually only have one day with a class- so I don't get to reflect and re-tact and try a new way with a teaching or a way of interacting and winning a particular student over. I have read it is not the job of the teacher to be the friend. I get that. But I also realize that unless there is some connection there is less motivation on the part of the student to be engaged. Especially true as a sub. I have put special effort on learning kids names. I think has been my most effective sub skill- the kids appreciate my effort to learn their name, and if I know their name I can quickly put them back on track if they are getting distracted.

1 comment:

  1. You are so awesome, Chris! I know you are a great sub. and will be a fantastic teacher. I feel that fire and passion in you. Yes, it's not about being a friend. There needs to be boundaries. You can always reward for good behavior.

    ReplyDelete