Exploration and Discovery

Exploration and Discovery
The Outdoor Classroom

Sunday, March 27, 2011

preparing the library

Spent some time yesterday covering my growing paperback collection for grades 4-6. Having recently read, and been deeply inspired by, The Book Whisperer I am excited to build a diverse and rich library. My problem is I have no idea what grade I will land in. So I continue to gather books aimed at K-2 and 4-6. I mostly buy hard backed books for the younger grades so they will last and because, generally speaking, they are books of beautiful illustrations which benefit from the larger format. I have not limited myself to Newberry Award winners, but after covering 6 or 7 books, I realized most of them bore the gold seal on the front cover. I am really enjoying reading them as well. Trying to categorize them by genre and make notes on who the book might appeal to. Sometimes I think about getting my masters and becoming a teacher librarian, but I want to spend a few years in the classroom first... getting to know the kids, developing the relationships, and becoming a really good teacher. 3-5 years. at least. I LOVE READING and really think all kids can get turned onto it- they just need the right book- for them.

Ended the night by finally watching Waiting for Superman...I am still processing and decompressing internally.

2 comments:

  1. I know the CS Lewis series of the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, etc. was popular. The Lord of the Rings books. Captain Underpants. Artemis Fowl books are hilarious and adventurous. Sharon Creech books. Who wouldn't love Beverly Cleary? Besides the Ramona books, Chlo loves the Rainbow Fairies series, Cam Jansen books, & the Ivy and Bean books. OMGosh, you know what other book I loved? Dicey's Song!!! That should be made into a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Stef. I feel so incredibly blessed to have so many mentors. I have added your list to my growing list of titles and I will wait for the Friends of the SFPL sale and look for titles at Green Apple.

    ReplyDelete